Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I'd be a runner if my legs would cooperate!!

Today - very very VERY bad for eating. I went to a Chinese takeout place for dinner. And I ate it all. THE ENTIRE PLATE. I way stuffed myself. And now I'm in bed, munching on leftover Easter candy and a peach (what a combination).

It's a lucky thing I worked out like a beast today then!

First, let me introduce you to my new accomplices.

Uh, yeah, that's me in the picture by the way. (wink wink)
Yeah, I bought new running shoes.

Ok, I know I said I'd get new shoes when I hit 155 pounds, but with how bad my legs/calves/shins have been hurting lately, I kind of thought it was time for new shoes. Sure enough, the guy at the sports store said that the shoes I have been wearing are really bad to run in. I knew I wanted to get the Nike+, so that was my only criteria. There wasn't a LOT to choose from, but I did try on a few pairs and found a perfect fit. And they're cute to boot!! As you can see, I also bought the Nike+ kit to go in my shoes and I FINALLY got around to picking up an armband for my iPhone. I'm so pumped to be able to workout without worrying about holding on to my iPhone while listening to the music. Trust me, it has become an issue more than once - while on the treadmill, especially, I'm constantly hitting the earphone cord and knocking it off the ledge. Yesterday morning my iPhone hit the treadmill and flew off, which then forced me to shout a few obscenities and wake up my hubby (needless to say he was pretty ticked about that one).

Anyways, so I gave my new shoes a shot. Outside. For the first time, I ran outside at home (I ran outside for the first time EVER while in Florida over spring break a few weeks ago). I don't know if it was because I was outside (which is always tremendously harder than on the treadmill), or if it was my pace, or what, but now my legs are KILLING me again. It's my right shin and left calf. *Sigh* As much as I'm really really REALLY wanting to continue running and am actually kind of sort of a little bit enjoying it, now all of a sudden I'm having problems. So much for being a runner. I've never really given it much effort before, and I've always stuck to biking, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But still.... this is just my luck. :(

The cool part about Nike+ is being able to see how far I ran and what my time was. It also tells you every time you hit a mile and what your pace at that point is. Here's a screen-shot from my first official run!!

It's a pretty slow pace, and I just couldn't go any farther. But for a first time, I'm pretty proud of myself.
Unfortunately. though, I don't know when the next time I will be able to run will be.

Anyways, I also woke up early and did my 30 Day Shred workout. I did level three!! It was pretty hard, but I'm already seeing results. No, I'm not ripped yet, I'm talking more about the push-up thing. Have I ever mentioned that I can't do a real actual full-out push-up? Nope. I can bike 150 miles. I can almost run a 5k. I can do 15 minutes straight of ab work without even flinching. But a real push-up? Not a chance. I have NO upper body strength. BUT, after doing 30 Day and Yoga Meltdown four days in a row, I'm pretty close to being able to do one. Just one of course, but still.

So, even though I ate a lot - 37 points to be exact(ish), I did earn 12 activity points today. Then, tomorrow is my birthday, and we are going to see Lady Gaga (or is it Ga Ga? GaGa? well you get the point) in concert, so I'm a little worried about my eating tomorrow night as well. It hasn't been the best past couple weeks for eating, and I really need to get myself back on track. I just eating JUNK. Non-foods, as Jillian would say.

Well I better get to bed if I'm getting up at 5:30 to get in a workout, especially since I won't have time to fit one in tomorrow night!! Happy hump day!!

6 comments:

Candy kankles said...

Happy early birthday!!!! cute shoes! I hope ur able to keep running its great finding somethin u like!

Kelty said...

YAY new toys! Enjoy them! Becoming a runner takes time! But you can totally get there.

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie said...

Happy birthday!!!

I hear you on the upper body strength part - I could run pretty far, but regular push-ups are a whole other challenge.

Have fun at Lady Gaga - I'm sure it'll be quite a show!

(PS I have running shoe envy - although my Asics are best for my feet (when they aren't too small and killing my toenails) I wish I had that little compartment for a Nike+).

Diandra said...

Yeah, that sucks... I've come to love running, but my left knee hurts everytime I run more than two days in a row... and when I tried a different running technique which was supposed to bring relief for the knees, I injured my Achilles tendon.

Running outside is way harder than on the treadmill, but it brings the added benefit of sunshine and fresh air - and maybe you can go walking on the days that you don't run? At the right speed, it can be pretty exhausting as well, and it helps strengthen the right muscles and prepare the joints for more running in the future.

ThunderThighs said...

@ Candy - thanks bunches!!

@ Kelty - I love new toys! They always bring motivation to try new things! And I know, I just tend to be a tad impatient.

@ Debbie - thanks! And I wondered myself if having that little compartment was really necessary or if I could have just taped it to any shoe? Hmmm...

@ Diandra - sounds like we have the same kind of luck! And it WAS so nice running in the outside air. Maybe I'll try walking, it's just my lack of patience kicking in.

Laura Whitfield said...

Happy Birthday! I think it takes a while to adjust to any new activity. Just keep trying and you'll get there!