Thursday, March 24, 2011

Advice from an unlikely source...

Ok, Ok, OK, fine, I'll start using correct grammar and punctuation in my blog posts. I AM sophisticated now, if you remember from a previous post, and so should my writing. I mean, I am a teacher - as a matter of fact, I'm a Language Arts teacher - so I do know how to write, and therefore should make that known. I've always been picky about my spelling, but I really liked writing in one long continuous sentence. Oh well, it's time to turn over a new leaf.

Speaking of new "leaves", I bought a new scale last night. Here it is!!


 

I was SO pumped to pull it out and step on (the first time THAT'S ever happened, trust me!).


As I did, I wasn't shocked at the weight part, I was shocked about the body fat part. I mean, I know I'm overweight, but jeez! The first picture below shows my weight and hydration level. I'm not sure exactly what the hydration level means until I look through the instructions a little more in depth.



So, here it is, the dreaded body fat percentage:



Ok, 38.6% doesn't sound like a lot, but after looking through the brochure thingy, I should be at more like less than 18%!!!! WHAT???? WOW!! As a matter of fact, it says anything over 28% is "very high". Oh crap. (By the way, sorry about the blurry picture - the stinking scale only shows each screen for something like 1.4 seconds, so I was trying to hurry.)

So I'm not only going to have to worry about the weight number, but now this stupid body fat number. Jeez, this just keeps getting more and more difficult. But I'm ready for the challenge. I work out quite a bit - so there's no problem there. I just REALLY need to get my diet in check!

Anyways, getting to the whole point of this post, I got advice from a very unlikely source today. Not that I shouldn't seek out advice from this guy, I just wasn't expecting it. Long story short, I headed up a 'Biggest Loser' competition at the junior high (where I work) with other teachers. I knew the competition was going to be tough, but I was ready. After the first half, I started to fizzle out. I started binging a lot and freaking out, and I just kind of gave up. I continued to work towards a weight loss goal, but I tried to keep my mind off the competition. I think the stress of it all made me kind of crazy!

So, the guy that actually won the competition lost 24 pounds. Yes, you read that right - 24 pounds!!! And did I mention it was over the course of nine weeks?? YEAH! Go him! When I saw his final weigh-in weight I about died! I even wrote in the announcement for the winners that I fear he may have had a limb cut off and perhaps we should check on him, because I just couldn't believe it! I was SO impressed!!

He came into my classroom to get his prize ($220!) and in the process we were able to talk about how he did it. Here are some of his strategies:
1. he brushes his teeth and gargles mouthwash after dinner and at any time he has a snack craving in order to stay away from snacking at night
2. portion control, portion control, portion control! he even measures his cereal in the morning
3. cutting out unnecessary calories (he used to go home and drink a big glass of chocolate milk after school everyday, but quit that habit)
4. playing the wii - just dance; he said he dances to a few songs every night with his wife (believe it or not, you can get quite a workout from that game, I know, I've done it!!)
5. eating small meals four times a day
6. eating a mostly vegetarian diet

Ok, I know what you're thinking - I've heard all this before. And so have I. But it seems different coming from someone who's actually tried it, had it work, and that I can actually look at and SEE the difference! I had to ask him, though, how he's not hungry all the time. He said that he is hungry all the time, but just gets over it. He's the type that could absolutely stuff himself and go back for more. I can totally relate! He simply chooses not to eat when it's not time. Basically, it comes down to mind over matter. When he said he's hungry all the time, he also mentioned that his stomach doesn't growl all the time. I really thing that means that he is craving food all the time, but isn't ACTUALLY hungry. I would LOVE to have that kind of self control!

So, even though he specifically stated the above six pieces of advice, the moral of his story that I really got out of the conversation is that sometimes it's all in my head and that I need to find my own ways of getting over it. I have to decide - am I really hungry? Or am I just wanting food? Do I really need to eat right now? Plus, I really liked his idea of brushing my teeth or using mouthwash. I do HATE the taste of food right after I've brushed my teeth. Plus, I have braces, and I hate the feeling of food being stuck in the brackets. Therefore, after I brush my teeth, I feel really refreshed and I don't like messing up that feeling by eating anything.

Well, hey, you learn something new every day, right? Find a way to overcome your own obstacles and you're one step closer to your goal. Have a great day everyone!!

No comments: